Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:41:51 -0500
From: "Chris Pawlowicz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "M540" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: E36/iPod

Kevin

I just bought an ipod and have been looking at the same thing (have a '99
Z3, an '89 325i, and wife has Chevy Trailblazer).. and I wanted to get
something working for them all (ha!)

anyways, first was the itrip fm modulator thingy.. real easy to use, pretty
cheap, but wildly different results

Z3- works great, sound is crappy with the top down at speed anyways so no
'loss of quality' can really be noticed
325i- iffy... works OK but occasional static
Trailblazer- terrible.. signal was weak and static came and went all the
time

With the itrip you can change frequencies, and I tried a bunch of different
ones in all cars. Going through tunnels, under bridges or next to buildings
seems to generate more static (?).

next 'cheapest' way to do this was I bought one of those cassette adapters.
All my vehicles have a cassette players and with one of the adapters all you
see is a black wire dangling out the deck. Sony makes a cheap good quality
one in black! <$20

This has been working great, a little ugly but way cheap. Otherwise it's
E30 - no solution
Z3 - ~$250 for the icelink
Chevy - ??? a few hundred bucks.. so many different head units and onstar
and dvd all make it very murky

I say get the cassette adapter if you can use it..

(the icelink from dension is pretty nice if you can use it and I might get
it for the z3.. it charges the ipod and turns it on and off with ignition...
but that's a lot of $$)

one other option is an fm modulator which plugs in-line into the antenna..
much stronger signal direct to the head unit rather than transmitting
through the air to the antenna to the head unit..

chris pawlowicz