Hi Cor,

On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 23:18 +0100, Cor Nouws wrote:
>    Thanks, I see we can study quite some mathematical variations on this
> subject ;-)

        :-) I suggest we have 'STV Meek Method' written into our bylaws to make
it clear - we had one case where someone in GNOME was either elected or
not by different methods ;-) 'Meek' (no relation) is at least repeatable
- it is what OpenSolaris used too AFAIR.

>    However, in your example and view, you start with the idea of
> candidates representing company/section/partition A or B. Rather then
> random community members.

        Sure, but any disagreement can be simplified into an arbitrary number
of two-horse races I think; the principle is basically the same - more
fairness with a larger electorate.

>    But that can only be reached when we have experienced people on board
> that do not change every 6 months. Also for documentation, qa etc,
> experience is important.

        Sure; of course, we can only hope that the people who stand for
election, and get elected are not entirely inexperienced - the
electorate should help with that.

>    Looking at all proposals that fly rapidly around, I would prefer a
> bit stability first. The next issue then would be, which form of STV or
> other voting scheme would be most appropriate. So the voting scheme
> should support our desired elections scheme, not the other way round.

        Um - I guess so, but given a fair voting scheme, the rounding issue is
fairly fundamental to how aliasing / numbers work and I don't see it
being easy / possible to work around.

        HTH,

                Michael.

--