Hi there,

On Fri, 2011-01-14 at 15:46 +0100, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:
> Please find the more or less final draft of the trademark policy of the
> Document Foundation: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TradeMark_Policy

        We've done some analysis internally on it, and the good news is that
the text looks fairly good.

        There is some concern about the lack of clarity on whether
        incorporating libreoffice (or other marks) into a domain name
        is allowed - this is an area people often want to tread on, and
        we should probably directly address it.

        Similarly - it does not mention including 'libreoffice' into a
        business name - I think we should simply prohibit that.

        So I suggest we add a clarification of both of these to the end of the
"Non permitted use section".

        "Thus uses of the Marks in a domain name, or business name
         without explicit written permission from TDF are prohibited."

        Another point is around the licensing of the policy itself; I suggest
we place it under some sort of open license  - e.g., creative commons
attribution share-alike, or something like that, so other projects can
freely re-use it. That is relatively easy to do, but I'd like to get
Karen's feedback first.

        Finally - I just realised that I'd like the "substantially unmodified"
clause to include a few more bundling bits: so

        "Substantially unmodified" means built from the source code
         provided by TDF, possibly with minor modifications including
         but not limited to: the enabling or disabling of certain
         features by default, translations into other languages, changes
         required for compatibility with a particular operating system
-        distribution, or the inclusion of bug-fix patches)."
+        distribution, the inclusion of bug-fix patches, or the bundling
+        of additional fonts, templates, artwork and extensions)

        Since that seems like it is something people would want to call
LibreOffice and just extends the "package other translations" scope to
other common things.

        So - do people have problems with any of that ?

        HTH,

                Michael.

--
 michael.me...@novell.com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot