Hi Andre,

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 02:34:50PM +0200, Andre Schnabel wrote:
> > Von: Francois Tigeot <ftig...@wolfpond.org>
> > This is an extract of the TradeMark_Policy web page:
[...]
> >   1. To refer to the LibreOffice software in substantially unmodified
> > form.
>
> Please note the wording "refer to the LibreOffice software". So this
> chapter is meant for the software itself, not necessarily the vendor of
> the software.

Hmm. This is a bit unclear. You mean the vendor would only be the packager,
not The Document Foundation ?

> There is another paragraph in the policy:
>
> > Non Permitted Use
> > You may not use the marks in the following ways:
> >
> > 1. In any way likely to cause confusion as to the identity of TDF, the
> > origin of its software, or the software's license;
>
> So in your case, there might be confusion what the "origin of the sofware"
> is - you are the vendor, but you are not "TDF".

I'm starting to realize the "vendor" term should be defined: I'm only writing
packaging scripts, and many third-parties could use them to provide finished
binary packages.

The origin of the software, is clearly TDF: the source code is used as-is,
without any modification.
There may be some small platform-specific patches in the future but that's
all.

> Therefore: It is absolutely ok to use the "LibreOffice" trademark, but
> it is questionable to use "The Document Foundation" trademark.

Should I only use "LibreOffice" ? The wording on the about box would give
this :
  This product was created by LibreOffice, based on OpenOffice.org, which is
  Copyright 2000, 2010 Oracle and/or its affiliates.

Which will be a bit weird...

> If I understand it correctly, the way of building and distributing
> the pkgsrc version is very different from what we do within our
> project framework.

Not really: pkgsrc is a framework to manage and build packages. LibreOffice
is build in the same way as a regular developer would do it and the end
result is a binary package, like a .deb or .rpm

What I've been doing so far is:
- make a list of the source code distribution files, as well as where to get
them
- add checksums for these files
- define the dependencies needed to build and/or run LO (zip, cups, libxslt,
  etc...)
- define the packages it may conflict with such as staroffice
- specify some configuration options (disable opengl, use system libraries,
  etc...)
- tell pkgsrc to launch the build with autogen.sh and gmake

In a way, it's a machine readable specification of the build instructions
available on the developers web page.

> So the way the vendors act are very different and
> this should be reflected in the vendor string.

What is a vendor and what is very different here ?

This is sounding a bit lame, but nowhere did I see a clarification of the name
"vendor", and what it should do or not.

Kind Regards,

--
Francois Tigeot