On 8 Jul 2011, at 13:09, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> Except screen-shots in Windows can't have any useful arrows or circles to
> point
> out the exact thing being talked about in the documentation.

Only screenshots of /Microsoft/ products.

>  They can't even be
> cropped to show off particular areas.  Icons can't be shown

/Microsoft/ icons

> (?) (without
> altering the screen-shot??) and we have to get permission to use any of the
> standard MS fonts.

I believe that is an excessively cautious interpretation.

> So, the documentation's screen-shots in Windows can only be as unhelpful as
> the
> screen that made the user want to dig into documentation because they
> couldn't
> find what they were looking for.

The restriction on cropping applies to screenshots of /Microsoft/ products, and
even then is most likely waived by the documentation exception.

Microsoft are protecting their own products from abuse here, not telling
developers on their platform that they may not document their own products. I
hate their EULA as much as the next guy but really, the caution on display here
is excessive.

S.