From: "Simon Phipps" <si...@webmink.com>
Date: Oct 12, 2012 12:48 PM
Subject: Conference Moderator
To: <confere...@global.libreoffice.org>

*tl;dr summary*:  I propose the LibreOffice Conference appoint someone to
oversee inclusiveness and offer confidence harassment will be addressed in
the unlikely event it happens.

*Detail*
Attending conferences in the USA over the last year, I have frequently
heard requests for conferences to have a policy statement to protect
attendees from harrassment of various kinds by other attendees. My
observation is these policies are hard to draft in a way that is inclusive
to the needs of all attendees and non-alienating; indeed, I have observed
some attempts at such policies themselves unwittingly alienating groups
within the conference. I believe it's important for the LibreOffice
conference that we create a welcoming and safe environment for all kinds of
attendees, so rather than attempting a detailed policy statement I'd like
to propose something different.

I suggest designating a "Conference Moderator", who can provide a safe
haven for those of us with concerns about some aspect of the conference and
a trusted advocate to take whatever steps are possible to address problems
if they arise. I thus propose the following:

   1. Add a statement such as the following to the conference web site:
   "The LibreOffice community is welcoming, diverse and international. This
   strength can sometimes bring with it different approaches to interaction
   that are unfamiliar and even occasionally unwelcome. We all have different
   comfort zone boundaries and many of us find it good to have a friend stand
   along side us when these boundaries are crossed for whatever reason.  If
   there's any aspect of the event that makes you feel uncomfortable, and you
   don't feel you can discuss it directly with those responsible or that just
   walking away is an acceptable solution, the Conference Moderator will
   discuss it with you in an accepting manner and act on your behalf to bring
   about a resolution if appropriate. For this year's conference, the Document
   Foundation Board has asked <name> to act as Moderator. Please contact
   <name>  either in-person or via <e-mail address> or <phone number>. <name>
   is authorised by the Board to take whatever steps are necessary to address
   any inappropriate actions during the conference."
   2. Ask the Document Foundation Board to seek and appoint a Moderator.
   3. Mention this arrangement in administrative remarks during the
   conference.

I believe this approach balances the need for community oversight with
the recognition of our mutual differences. All the same, I doubt I've got
it right first time and I'd welcome improvements to this proposal.

Best regards,

Simon