On 2020/07/15 17:47, Kev M wrote:

>Your branding expert is possibly correct in their assessment that Personal is
>better. But alarms are going off in the heads of me and other FOSS
>supporters/ideologues on the implications of the term. Hard to balance
>interests.

The hardest part of branding, is coming up with a term that has the
least number of undesirable connotations and implications.

* Personal brings up memories of software that only allowed
non-commercial usage, and had a very narrow definition of what that
permitted;
* Community implies the crippleware without paying for an expensive license;
* Professional implies that it is overkill for great aunt Martha
creating birthday cards and the like for the extended family;

* Enterprise implies features that a SOHO neither uses nor needs;
* Corporate implies that it is unsuitable for academic and non-profit
organisations;

* SOHO implies that if the organisation has more than around 10
employees, it won't work for the organisation;
* SMB implies that if the organisation has more than around 500
employees, it won't work for the organisation;

Whatever term is chosen will annoy somebody, possibly to the point of
persuading them to not even consider LibO.

###

I'm going to make a very radical suggestion:

_Ban the use of the word "free" in all material related to LibreOffice_.
If the need for the term is imperative, replace it with "libre".

In English, "free" will invariable equated with "gratis", not "libre".

###

The desired result of this Strategic Plan is:

* Increased usage of LibreOffice by both individuals and organisations;
* Increased awareness of how LibreOffice is developed;
* More organisations within the LibreOffice Ecosystem;
* Increase net revenue of support organisations within the LibreOffice
Ecosystem;

jonathon