Hello Italo,

Thanks for explaining the reasoning behind the choice of words (p. 49-50). Perhaps I come from another filter bubble, so let me explain my perspective. To me, Personal Edition suggests a no-cost version of a proprietary application, with limits to commercial use. For example: [1] Personal Edition can also mean a time-limited trial version: [2] I'm not aware of any "Personal Editions" of FOSS applications.

On the other hand, Community Edition tends to mean that you get a fully open-source version of the application with community support only. This describes TDF's version of LO much better. I disagree with the assertion that CE versions are necessarily "crippled". AFAIK Debian, Gnome and KDE use the Community Edition of GitLab, i.e. it's fully usable even for big projects, even though some features are reserved for the Enterprise Edition.

It's true that "CE" branding usually suggests that the corresponding EE is proprietary. But as MPL/LGPL allow for making a version of LO with proprietary additions, anyway, I'm not sure how TDF could guarantee that EEs will always be fully open source?

BTW, despite the criticism above, I think there are many good ideas in the plan in general.

BR,
Tuomas

[1] https://store.unity.com/products/unity-personal
[2] https://www.microfocus.com/products/visual-cobol/visual-cobol-for-visual-studio/personal-edition/trial/