Hi Andreas, all,

Andreas Mantke wrote:
> But you didn't consider the mental aspects.

I did, but I still believe that's quite minor compared to the actual
development effort.

The policy as it stands now is a compromise between a number of needs
(and people's ideas), where there's some barrier for moving a project
into the attic, and a corresponding barrier for getting it
back. Additionally, there were requests that new projects from
commercial players should come with certain commitments (and those
naturally transfer over into de-atticization).

Beyond actually showing development (and finding support at TDF), most
of the more burdensome prescriptions in the policy are merely
advisory. So the ESC and/or the board can make pragmatic decisions,
should an obvious case be brought forward.

> But if you fork a Github repo you could make a pull request to the
> upstream project. This will be blocked for an attic project by the
> proposal.

Sure. But you said not being able to create pull requests leads to
insurmountable barriers for new development. I dispute that; and the
meta-pullrequest (which this policy specifies) is to submit a git
repository hosted & developed outside the TDF realm, via the
de-atticization process.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten