Hi all!

While hunting for a bug recently, we at Einstein@Home came across a
question that I would like to present for discussion here:

If an app has a non zero GPU share ("GPU app" for short), should CPU
throttling (as configured thru the preferences setting "Use at most x % of
CPU time") be applied to it?

I guess there are several pros and cons, e.g.:

cons:
  - one one hand, GPU apps (depending on the CPU share?) get a higher OS
prio (in terms of "niceness") to prevent the GPU being starved. Throttling
the CPU might very well cause this starvation
  - if a GPU app has a rather low CPU runtime share in the first place,
further CPU throttling does not seem too useful.
  - in order to avoid GPU load to interfere with the user doing non-BOINC
related stuff, there is already the setting "Suspend GPU work while
computer is in use".

pros:
  I can't think about many, maybe consistency and user expectation?

Volunteer reports at E@H seem to suggest that in the current BOINC client
version, GPU apps are indeed CPU throttled, right?
Browsing thru the source code, my initial impression is that only NCI
(non-CPU-intensive) apps are excluded from throttling.

Cheers
HB