Charles:
If this program is ready for public use, we could list it here:
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/addons.php
-- David

On 09-Jul-2013 4:15 AM, Charles Elliott wrote:
Three of my computers are in a small second floor bedroom with an asphalt
roof and a box fan placed in a window close to the ground for its only
ventilation.  During the afternoons room temperatures are 95 F or higher,
too much for the computers.

If heat is the problem, it makes more sense to measure CPU/GPU temperatures
and reduce the load on a device if the temperature rises above a set point,
and increase it if the temps go below a lower set point.

I wrote a Java program that does exactly that.  It accesses temperatures by
parsing a SpeedFan logging file on each computer, and affects Boinc by
changing the <ncpus>N</ncpus> line in cc_config.xml and issuing a
<read_cc_config> RPC.  Something similar might be possible for the GPUs.

It seems to work.  Yesterday, its first day of operation, during the
afternoon it lowered the CPUs used of the three computers from 8 to 6, and
then last night, starting about 10:30, it slowly raised them back to 8,
where it is now.

Charles Elliott