Hi David,

Thanks for this, the solution you came up with seems OK to me, but I find
this commit pretty unfortunate.

This is a totally non-backwards compatible change to a critical core part
of how the BOINC server works. It definitely breaks C@H's apps for example
(just checked) without modifications on our end, and I imagine many other
projects as well.

If the server had some sort of release schedule with release notes for each
release, a project maintainer could see this change before updating and
make the necessary changes. As it stands, if I'm a project maintainer that
occasionally git pulls the server software and doesn't keep their eyes
glued to this mailing list, I'm never going to catch this commit and I'm
going to waste a huge amount of time figuring out why my project broke the
next time I update. (I think I'm partially echoing a few concerns brought
up by Christian Beer in other threads here)

Even worse, AFAIK (tell me if I'm wrong) there's no way for my
boinc2docker_create_work script to detect which version of the server is
currently installed, whether its a version before or after this commit,
which means I can't support both versions of the server software
automatically.

I'd urge you to revert this commit from master and put it on a separate
branch while we solve the above issues (the solutions could well be simple
and quick, but until then I don't think this change belongs on master yet)

Marius