From: boinc_dev [mailto:boinc_dev-boun...@ssl.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of David
E Kim
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2017 11:40 AM
To: boinc_dev@ssl.berkeley.edu
Subject: [boinc_dev] BOINC API issue with android arm?

Hi all,

I’m not sure if this is the right list to use but thought I’d mention it here.
 I tried to contact David Anderson via email but have not heard back.

I was wondering if anyone has random seg fault issues with their android apps
for their BOINC projects.  Our Rosetta@home android application had pretty bad
success rates and I found that the main cause was the use of “setitimer” in the
“start_worker_signals” function in the boinc_api.cpp code.  Our Rosetta app
runs stable without the BOINC api, but when using the default api, it crashed
randomly.

I developed a workaround which avoids “setitimer" in the api code and our app
is stable with the modified BOINC api and is now in production for our
Rosetta@home project.  Our success rates for android arm have gone from 40-60%
to 95%.

I’m wondering if this is just a Rosetta application induced bug (it’s a pretty
substantial scientific app) or a general android issue.

Thanks,

David Kim