On 7/20/2017 2:11 AM, Oliver Bock wrote:
just meant to improve things - to make BOINC better. For instance, I for
one just can't take over a responsible (!) role as release manager for,
say, Android unless there's a codebase and a workflow I can trust. If
As you know, client releases (including Android) are build from
a stable branch like client_release/7/7.8.
Not from master.
The workflow for master isn't relevant here.
Let's not confuse things.

Adopting a particular SCM model isn't a magic wand that will somehow fix
everything.
The issues you mention are, I think, not much related to SCM; e.g.:
- The reasons small research groups aren't creating BOINC projects is that the
  risk/reward economics are unfavorable and the documentation is sub-par.
- Some projects made changes to the server code and didn't do the 10% extra work
  of merging them into master, so it becomes progressively harder for them to
upgrade.