On 2017-07-20 10:09, David Anderson wrote:
On 7/20/2017 12:37 AM, Oliver Bock wrote:

Sorry, but this isn't a sustainable model.
Well, it's sustained us this far.

I'm not so sure about that, at least if "us" should cover more than SETI. Most major projects that I know of use BOINC server code that is as outdated as their requirements allow, and do their own development based on that old version. Ours (E@H) dates back to early 2012, Rosetta's is way older (2009?), WCG uses the first git migration (late 2012).

Projects are worried first about stability and reliability, then about features they may need. You certainly don't want to build your project code - that should reliably manage some 100k machines of some 10k users that you don't want to alienate - from a branch that every intermediate half-baked commit of a handful of features that is worked on in parallel gets committed to. That's what's driving GPUgrid away, and that shows that - in my understanding of 'sustain' - it DOESN'T sustain.

We could have a server stable branch, as you've suggested, if we could figure out how to test the server software.

A system as complex as BOINC can only be trusted as a whole by building up trust from the ground up, i;e; by building trust to its components. This means that testing the "server software" means and requires testing its components. Testing, of course, can only mean testing the behavior compared to a specification (even if the specification isn't written down explicitly; then the test defines the specification). This, in turn, means you would better have a specification, at least for each module and interface, which first should be verified on its own for correctness and completeness. Then you can write a test case/program/whatever for this module. Then you can test this module to conform to your specification.

Basically there is no point in testing a module or a system as long its (desired) behavior isn't specified.

Best,
Bernd