On 12 January 2018 at 13:38, Charlie Fenton <charl...@ssl.berkeley.edu>
wrote:

> This allows older project graphics apps to be displayed by the Mac
> screensaver under OS 10.13 High Sierra, though at a slower frame rate than
> project graphics apps which have been relinked with the BOINC graphics
> libraries version 7.8.3 or later. The slower frame rate can make animations
> appear less smooth.

I don't know how these changes work on the OS side, under the hood.
Assuming the worst, that this works by copying bitmaps around, I wonder
what kind of effect this has on task run times. It might not use CPU time
all that much but it could slow down apps by trashing CPU caches.

Did you happen to check task run times before and after this change?

-Juha