On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 2:38 PM, alinome.net <[email protected]> wrote: > >> 6). Add basic core function for accessing database info, and a command >> to be able to write to a database. Multiple databases even. > > Do you mean SQL? I guess you mean accessing a database for any app > purpose, not for the site pages...
Yes. On both accounts. >> 8) Move site.cron, site.languages, & site.actions to site.public >> hierarchy, or to a public directory. This would be the place for all >> publically readable but not editable info/data. > > But maybe some action, added by a plugin, could be only for admin. I > don't fully understand the need for a site.public branch. A tree > organized by functions is clear: site.language, site.cron... but the > "public" criterium is a different thing. Maybe it's clearer and > simpler to keep all admin pages under site when possible. It's just some admin pages must be publically readable, while most others do not. The goal is to simplify the authorization pages. Site.Auth.View= site*: @admin site.public*: @guest or public*: @guest >> 9) Is anyone using BoltWire's cron? I'm wondering if perhaps it >> should not be moved to a plugin--as standard cron is so easy to setup >> (on my server) and is preferable. And you know I'm all for keeping the >> core lean and mean. It might be better to just have a way for admins > > I didn't try cron yet, but it's clearly a good canditate to leave the > core, it's something too special. Agreed. It's also rather problematic. And just creating a default call to any background function the admin wants actually increases our options, rather than limiting. >> 10) Just wondering if we shouldn't separate boltwire into two >> downloads--one the code barn (which gets updated frequently), and the >> other the field and farm folders (which would be mostly empty, and >> only need to be installed the first time). It would make thinks easier >> all the way around, except for the very first install, would have to >> extract 2 zips > > What would be the advantage in your opinion? I don't understand it. > Sometimes you would have to make different packages: > bolwire3.01farm.zip, boltwire3.01barn... If you read the farm tutorial, you'll notice there are two solutions down at the bottom for overcoming the problem of upgrades. If you just do a simple upgrade, you lose downgrade possibilities, unless you overwrite with an older version. If you setup separate barns, you have to copy your farm over. None of these are insurmountable, but I'm thinking we could simplify that process a bit. I'm also concerned people might be having extra field/index.php folders out there from multiple installations. They are wide open to hacking if not deleted. And finally, it would simplify my part in putting together new releases a good bit. I have to have some fancy installation setups to get what I want. This option would be a big plus for me personally. Cheers, Dan --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BoltWire" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected] To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/boltwire?hl=en -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
