Just released version 2.38. In terms of the sheer number of recorded
changes it's probably the biggest release of the 2.xx series. Probably
equivalent to 2-3 large releases, actually...  It is a pretty solid
release however, as much of it is just bug fixes that sprang from
problems in my own web project (which is what started BoltWire off in
the first place).  My online is school is now humming away, quite
active, and working without a glitch. I love it.

Not every little patch has been recorded (I'm sorry--I was quite
focused on my task), but the changelog should include most of them. As
for things to take special note of that might affect your site:

1) If you have a custom action.changes page (look in your local pages
folder) it will no longer work, as I've reworked the lastmodified
variable into a function. Study the new action.changes page to see how
to update yours. Or just delete your current one.

2) I changed (somewhat compulsively) the [[<page]] and [[>page]]
markups as never really sticking in my thinking. If you have links
with these, you will have to replace them with some alternative. If
possible use the new [[..page]] syntax to keep the same p1 and p2.

3) There's a major rewrite of the info function in this release for
several reasons. One was security. Some functions will continue as is,
others will need to be rewritten. Please note all your instances of
this function in your wiki and test to make sure they don't glitch.
Contact me for help fixing problems.

4) BoltWire's pseudo cron capabilities have been delegated to plugin
status. So if you are relying on this, install the plugin after
upgrading.

There are many other changes, but for space sake, I won't list them
all here. There are also several updated plugins.  I need a better
system for reporting modified plugins. Not sure the "Recent Updates"
page is always accurate, though it's close enough I suppose...


BoltWire 3.xx

With all the changes I was tempted to name this 3.00, but for the most
part it's a smooth upgrade, similar the others (I hope). And there are
several changes that will NOT be so smooth, and I want to use the
2.xx/3.xx switch as an excuse to make.  :)   These are kind of
settling in my thinking, into a pretty clear plan of action.  When I
get some time, these are the main changes that will be involved which
might disrupt sites

1) Simplify the BOLTargs function. Will make a seamless internal
upgrade, but will wreak havoc on plugins. Actually, will only involve
an easy upgrading of the plugins.

2) Rework paragraph tags more along the line of wiki-creole. After
work with my own sites, I've begun to appreciate Marcos comments here
more fully. There are also some other linespacing issues in the
markups I want to address. This will mostly just make minor, but
irritating spacing changes to page contents.

3) Change names of BoltWire classes, to begin with BOLT. Easy enough
to fix in existing sites--just update your skin's style sheets. Skin
developers will hopefully want to upgrade several skins. Which will
need to get converted over to plugin style installations anyway, as
the separate skin installation process will also be deleted.

4) Separate BoltWire into two separate downloads: a barn and a farm.
The barn will be the core code you upgrade frequently. The farm will
by your main holding area for skins, plugins, and other extensions. I
may even bundle in a basic dozen or so useful plugins--at least those
plugins I want to support officially. Easy to turn on. Everything
configurable, as usual.

Database support (possibly a plugin), using a default site.public
directory, an installation messages systems and other proposed changes
are still coming but may happen before or after the switch to 3.xx and
should be pretty incidental to upgrades.


Hope everyone enjoyed their Holiday break and are ready to get back to work!

Cheers
Dan

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"BoltWire" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/boltwire?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to