On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 2:38 PM, jacmgr <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> I have been testing the RSS Plugin from the boltwire solutions page.
> It is pretty good, but I had to make one fix.  The plugin does 2
> things:
>
> GETS an RSS feed from some external url and nicely displays it in your
> web page.  THIS WORKS FINE right out of the box.

Great!

> Creates an RSS Feed from a List if BW pages.  I had some issues with
> this working.  So here is what I did.
>
> For testing,
> a) make a hardcoded list of page like, and call it something, like
> mypagename:
> event.eventmgr.1237003200
> event.eventmgr.1235797200
> event.eventmgr.1234674000
> event.eventmgr.1233896400
> event.eventmgr.1232946000
>
> b) Should be able to get an RSS Feed by a
> http://...../index.php?p=mypagename&action=rss
>
> That gave me blank page, I solved it this way by editting the plugin
> file rss.php and function BOLTFrssfeed
>
> 1) Fixed the end line delimeter
> original line:
>        $pages = explode("<br>", $content);
> change to:
>        $pages = explode("<br />", $content);

Thanks!

> 2) Adjust this line at the top of rss.php.  The feed readers didn't
> like the ampersand
> original line:
>               $BOLTvar['$rss'] = "$scriptURL$pageLink&action=rss";
> change to:
>               $BOLTvar['$rss'] = "$scriptURL
> $pageLink&action=rss";

Did not get the change properly in the email. Did you just escape the & symbol?

> Then I got the feed no problem into my feed reader.
>
> Some additional tweaks below werent required, but they helped.
>
> 3) Add a "description" variable into your skinvars.  This variable is
> used in the code.skin.rss

Good suggestion. I think the description is supposed to go on the page
where the feed is generated from... The script has an
action.description page just for this...  Could put a link to it in
the footer or something. I'm sorry i don't recall exactly how all this
was supposed to work, as I don't really use it.

I'm working on a blog though and this was on my list to explore.
Thanks for digging into it some...

> 4) You may (or may not need) to add this line just before the return
> in BOLTFrssfeed. I did this so it pretty much gauarntees the rss page
> gets displayed in your browser.
>
>        header ("content-type: text/xml");

Probably a good idea.

> SO that all works for the hardcoded list of pages.
>
> NOW I STILL HAVE THIS PROBLEM.
> Instead of hardcoding a list of page names, you whould be able to
> generate the pagenames using search function. This is the search that
> dynamically generates the same page name used above.
> [(search group=event* if="equal {+p0} 3" sort=p3 order=reverse)]

Shouldn't it have fmt={+p} in there?

> It does generate that list, but in rss.php it does not seam to get a
> list, it is empty. The do markup doesn't return anything
> function BOLTFrssfeed($args, $zone) {
>        global $scriptURL, $pageLink;
>        $content = BOLTloadpage($args[''][0]);
>        //echo $content; //OK displays the search function from page
>        $content = BOLTdomarkup($content, $pageLink, $zone);
>        echo $content; //empty
>        exit;

If these ideas don't work, let me know. I'll tinker some more...

Cheers,
Dan

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"BoltWire" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/boltwire?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to