My view as a seller is slightly different - also I am in the uk so I 
talk in pennies not cents but the theory is the same. I find it is 
not very easy on Amazon to search on everything by one particular 
seller - so this is not really a reason to sell for 1p.  

I sell for 1p because everyone else does!  If I find a book at a 
higher price I undercut the lowest listed price by about 5p so my 
book will show top of the list for selling.  I only sell books for 
1p if I know I can post it off for less then the fixed price postage 
I pay for an item.  Most books I end up making about 50p on  - but a 
thin book may make me as much as £1.50 even if it sold for just 1p.  

I once made a loss on a bigger book as I miscalculated the weight of 
the packaging and could not be bothered to cancel the sale.(only 17p 
lost!)  Another time I got to the post office and realised my 
mistake - I would have lost over £1 on this one so I cancelled the 
sale with an appology to the customer and re-listed the item at a 
higher price to allow for the increased postage.  The lovely buyer 
bought the book from me again later the same day even though I was 
no longer the cheapest seller (I don't sell enough to get volume 
discounts) - it was still packed up ready to go so went in th epost 
the same day.

I have only just started selling as well as bookcrossing - it helps 
cover postage cosrs and 2nd hand book purchases for the 4 OBCZ's I 
stock.  Now if a book doesn't sell after the 60 day listing I remove 
it and bookcross it.  I bought several boxes of new and used books 
from E-bay to start my selling.  I have now just made back the cost 
of these books so I am now making a profit - the only problem is I 
went through a red trafiic light when collecting some books so I 
have a £60 fine to pay now - so I will end up with a loss unless I 
can shift some books!!!!!

I hope my views help explain things - happy bookcrossing

Weebly (aka weebly_one on amazon and also on green metropolis!)

--- In [email protected], Karen Greenberg 
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> It doesn't matter if the books are not sold in auction format.  It 
gets people interested in what that person has to sell.  Retail 
stores put up "loss leaders" for sale all the time.  It is an item 
that the store is not going to make money on or even lose money on, 
but it gets people into the store.  The law of nature says that a 
person is more likely to continue looking if they feel they are 
getting a good deal.
> 
> cenimo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:Irene, Karen
> 
> Selling books on amazon isn't done as an auction, it's a set 
price. 
> Unless one is a volume seller, as Krcia has pointed out, amazon
> charges a $.99 fee and 15% of the sale price. 
> At one cent, a $.99 fee and 15% of the sale price hardly makes it 
seem
> worthwhile to sell something for one cent. 






------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page
http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/wnIolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

Have you told a friend today? http://bookcrossing.com/tellafriend

Archives and email list settings:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BookCrossing



 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BookCrossing/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Reply via email to