"David B. Held" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
b1c5tk$pbf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:b1c5tk$pbf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > [...]
> > >         ~ref_counted()
> > >         {
> > >             delete pCount_;
> > >         }
> > > [...]

Unfortunately, my latest solution brings up a nice little gem from VC++:
sizeof(smart_ptr) == 12, not 8.  No amount of rearranging of the bases
seems to restore that magical state when even VC++ gave me
sizeof == 8.  I suspect it all has to do with the non-trivial d'tors somehow
interfering with EBO.  It's especially problematic that you can't turn on
EBO explicitly for VC++.  I tried setting it to Favor Small Code, to no
effect.  Setting alignment to 1 just gives sizeof == 9 instead of 12.  Any
VC++ geniuses with suggestions?  I'm pretty near the end of my rope
(ok, there were about 4 permutations I didn't try, but I would be extremely
surprised if one of them were "magical").

Dave