On Friday, May 30, 2003, at 09:56 America/Denver, Chuck Messenger wrote:
What I'm trying to develop (or even better, find) is a workable C++ library which supports cyclic structures, handling garbage collection for you, without resorting to a systemic (and non-portable) approach like the Boehm collector. I want to build regular-old, C++ standard libraries upon this cyclic library -- I don't want to require users of my libraries to use my garbage collection system. It needs to be perfectly invisible to the user (and ideally, as invisible as possible to the library writer).

There are a few attempts laying around various places in Boost, but I've lost track of where they all are, how they all work, and what their relative advantages and disadvantages are. If someone could pull this information together it might help to get this discussion out of the cycle it seems caught in ;->