To report a botnet PRIVATELY please email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
----------
You are beating a dead horse here.

The point of this whole thing was to say that "HEY, they are targeting a new
platform other than windows". Not that it requires user interaction to
install it. Honestly, think about it... this is how a bunch of the early
malware was installed on the windows platform. By USER interaction...
wanting to go to a porn site and needing xyz dialer to look at the pretty
pictures.

The other point is that mac users have a false sense of security...
Honestly, how many mac users run AV? I know I don't on my iBook...

The point about windows being less secure than osx is true(i agree with it),
but in another sense it doesnt matter. If someone isn't patching they are
both insecure. I am not a windows fanboy by any means, but the argument of
OSX is more secure than Windows in my mind isn't a good point. I honestly
don't care what is more secure out of the box... It is my job to keep things
secure no matter what os or version is on them. If there is a remote exploit
that can get me root on  an unpatched osx(like there have been many security
updates that fix), and I can get the same type of privs on an unpatched
windows box then they are both "Insecure". Default setups honestly on
windows have gotten much better that in prior years. However we aren't here
to talk about windows versus linux versus mac.

On Nov 4, 2007 2:15 PM, Kyle Lutze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> To report a botnet PRIVATELY please email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ----------
> PinkFreud wrote:
> > Gadi already made the point that the significance of this lies in
> > professional malware authors taking notice of Apple.  If this trojan
> > was written for, say, NetBSD, or perhaps ReactOS, I know *my* reaction
> > would be the same - 'wow, the malware authors are taking notice of a
> > new platform!'.  That *is* significant, and those who are chalking that
> > reaction up to 'anti-Apple zealotry' are sorely mistaken.
> >
> fair enough, both your points there are quite valid and I wasn't
> denying the significance of malware authors taking notice to apple,
> just that this being considered in the wild is a bit overboard.
>
> > There is a second point being made here, too - Apple isn't exactly
> > known for writing bug-free code (I've already given some examples
> > earlier in this thread), and they're not exactly known for fixing bugs
> > until they're absolutely forced to.  This is liable to create problems
> > down the road - given that the malware authors are now starting to take
> > notice of Macs, they'll undoubtedly try a few exploits before long.  I
> > just hope Apple has patched all known holes by then... :)
> >

> My point is, where's the bug in apple's code here? There's nothing
> apple can do about human stupidity in ignoring all of the message
> boxes before this trojan can be installed.

James Pleger
p: 623.298.7966
e: [EMAIL PROTECTED]