On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 05:20:22AM -0700, Stani wrote:

> On Oct 27, 10:23 am, Bob Farrell <robertanthonyfarr...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 12:33:51PM -0700, Stani wrote:
> >
> > > Is bpython planning to support python 3? If yes, when? I'm looking to
> > > improve the blender python shell with bpython functionality. The new
> > > Blender version 2.5 (available from graphicall.org) uses python 3.1
> >
> > Yes. Andreas did some work to make this work on 3.x; as far as I know the
> > latest tip will work out of the box, though how much work needs to be done
> > for
> > fine tuning, I'm not sure.
> I will integrate bpython functionality as much as I can in Blender. I
> will do it step by step as the blender console lacks the functionality
> (e.g. for displaying auto completion or call tips in the way bpython
> does it). I have ported the importcompletion to py3, which was only
> one line of change AFAIK:
> find_iterator.next() -> next(find_iterator)
>
> > I don't use 3.x (I have never even played with it) so this certainly isn't
> > something I have any interest in doing at the moment, so if it isn't working
> > now, I doubt it will soon as Andreas has started university so he has very
> > little free time.
> OK, no problem.
>
> It would help a lot the integration if core functionality in cli.py
> (such as autocompletion) is moved in a separate module such as you did
> already for importcompletion and inspection. Now cli mixes view
> (curses) with the model (eg completion). Would you be open for this?
> This would allow us to easily integrate bpython functionality, which
> is independent from display, in Blender.

Yes, refactoring of this code is definitely a good thing - Andreas was doing
some work towards this so I think the best thing to do is to wait for him to
reply here about where he got to with it. Also, please make sure you read the
CHANGELOG and are running from the latest tip, rather than a release.

The best thing to do is to fork the bitbucket project and do your work there,
then post here (or come and talk to us in #bpython on freenode) and tell me
what you've been up to - I'll do some code review and, if the code looks good,
either myself or Andreas will pull the changes into the main trunk. Obviously
if the work you do is proven to be beneficial then I'll give you commit rights
on the bpython project so you can just push your changes yourself.

--
Bob Farrell