Hello Alex,
I can't really say for the CF and SD cards but on that 40 or 80 GB hard
drive, fat32 is the only real option because fat is limited to 2 GB for
any logical drive.
FAT32 can format up to about 2 terabytes, (2,000 GB).
On a computer you could, in theory, partition the drive into a whole bunch
of logical drives instead of one big physical drive but I don't know what
our note takers would see then. Don't know if they could access any more
than the first logical drive but maybe one of the others on this list
could answer that question.
I don't know how the CF and SD cards are handled but if the same as a hard
drive, then the smaller ones would be fine with fat but those more than
about 512 MB might have more efficient storage if done as fat32 to reduce
slack space waste. Slack space is the part of a cluster above the actual
file contents. For example, if you have a hard drive cluster size of 32
KB and you are storing a small text file like autoexec.bat which might be
only a couple hundred bytes long, then all of the rest of the cluster used
to store that small file is just wasted.
Richard
On 2006-03-01 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
Hello List:
I am considering getting a Western Digital HD for my BNMPBT. My
friend has one, and I have used it a few times (it is 60 or 80
GB). Whenever I try to get information about it by pressing
SPACE with I in the drive list, the unit locks up and will only
recover if I disconnect the HD. Any suggestions?
Next, what file system works best for not only USB, but CF or SD
as well: FAT or FAT32? Is one better for one type of media? I
don't want to try it with that HD because I doubt my friend would
appreciate me erasing all his data.
___
To leave the BrailleNote list, send a blank message to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To view the list archives or change your preferences, visit
http://list.humanware.com/mailman/listinfo/braillenote