Joleen,
This list had a similar discussion a few months back with a loose hardware was inside a BrailleNote. There was even an anecdote of a person inserting an SD card "accidentally" into the CF slot and retrieving it at the PC card slot. I have several theories: Inside the CF card slot there is a horizontal piece on the either side of the slot. This ensures that the CF cards go in as intended. One of my theory is that this horizontal bar (on either side of the CF slot) might have been cut off. Secondly, CF slot is not "tied to the backside" as many people think. Actually, it is not. There is a slight difference between the hight of the CF slot and the back side. If you put your finger inside the upper part of the CF card, you might notice that there is a a bit of difference between the hight of the CF card slot and the back side just outside the CF card (about an mm). Also you might have noticed that the texture on the back panel is dierent from the CF slot. So the second theory is that the failure of inside structure has occurred (either because of malfunction or a hardware failure resulting from a cut off piece that interferes with the slot) and this requires not just replacement of the area around the CF slot, but possibly the replacement of the entire motherboard chipset (including the CF slot itself) or an entire unit must be replaced (as in Alex's example shows). So, from my analysis, the replacement of the CF slot is in order. If it does not work, then the replacement of the entire unit is in order (this is because CF slot is connected to the motherboard and it is not possible to replace the CF slot alone because the entire unit must be disassembled and must be reassembled with the functioning CF slot). I'm sorry that this has happened to you again.
Cheers,
Joseph
Skype: joslee22590 PddS. I just know this answer; I don't have any explanations as to how I got this answer (it just came out of my head).

----- Original Message -----
From: Joleen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: Braille Note List
<<[email protected]
Date sent: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 21:30:35 -0800
Subject: [Braillenote] Hardware Concern, CF
Slot

Hi All,

I noticed, soon after receiving my mPower
last September, that
something was loose in the CF slot. I
frequently would have to
use my finger to move or slide it out of the
way in order to put
the CF card in the slot. Concerned that
something had broken, I
called tech support. They suggested that I
send it in.  I did.

Shortly after getting it back a month later,
I began noticing the
same problem. I called tech support again
and they told me that
I could send it in again. I persisted with
the very helpful
person. That person looked up the work done
by using my RMA
number. In fact, there was no mention of
anything lose in the
area of the CF slot. They had not addressed
it at all even
though the note was there that something was
in the way of the CF
card.

Now, I am not willing to send it in again
only for them to do
nothing. I want to know here if anyone else
has the same problem
with the CF slot as I describe? If there is
a hardware expert
monitoring the list, is there any danger in
leaving it.
Everything seems to be working.

I really don't want to send it in again and
again only not to
have my concern addressed. I would also like
the telephone tech
support people to be impowered to give
appropriate advice.  If
this is "normal" then let them tell us that.

Thanks for any information on this.

Joleen


___
To leave the BrailleNote list, send a blank
message to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To view the list archives or change your
preferences, visit
http://list.humanware.com/mailman/listinfo/br
aillenote


___
To leave the BrailleNote list, send a blank message to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To view the list archives or change your preferences, visit
http://list.humanware.com/mailman/listinfo/braillenote

Reply via email to