Sonja wrote:
> "Adam C. Lipscomb" wrote:
>
> > When we are discussing meaning of words, it is imperative that we
rely
> > upon dictionaries, because they are THE sources that tell us HOW A
> > WORD IS USED.  If I decide that "blue" ought to mean "green", I
can
> > with justification be called wrong on that, because the *commonly
> > accepted definition* is that "blue" does not mean "green".
>
> Luckily nobody applies this as rigourous and single minded as
suggested
> here, or the language would be stagnant and dying. Development of
language
> depends on words being used in new and innovative ways. Also
invention of
> new words is very common and more so in this age of innovation.
> Unfortunatly this means that any dictionary is gonne be out of date
as
> soon as it's printed. :o)

Nothing you said directly contradicts my point - the reason we're
spending so much time discussing the meaning of the term "anti-Semite"
is in large part due to accusations leveled against your husband.  He
has taken refuge in a carefully constructed house of cards, claiming
that he is not an "anti-Semite" because he does not hate Arabs.  While
I do not think your husband is an anti-Semite (in either sense), he is
essentially hiding behind a non-denial.  It has been clearly pointed
out that, in English, according to the etymology and vast majority of
definitions, including the internationally recognized authority on
word meaning, usage and etymology (that darn OED), the term
"anti-Semite" is in its most common and proper usage defined as
"Jew-hater".  Since Jeroen is not a Jew-hater, why is he wasting
energy that could be spent studying for his tests arguing that the
proper usage of a word is something it is not?

Do you, or do you not, consider it important to ensure that all
parties are at a common understanding of the meaning of a term,
whether it be "anti-Semite", "cancer" or "cherry pie"?  If I invite
you over for "cherry pie" and, upon your arrival, hit you in the head
with a stick, claiming that is *my* understanding of the term "cherry
pie", am I therefore in the right, or did I just play a cruel trick
upon you?  If a doctor says, "You have ovarian cancer", but after
you've had your ovaries surgically removed, says, "Now, when I said
'ovarian cancer', I meant 'lung cancer'", is that OK?

No, we cannot depend upon words having the same meaning forever, but
we *can* look at how words are used now, and we can look at the most
common usages of them, and we can say, "Hmmm.  Joe American just
called Jeroen an anti-Semite.  That means Joe American is calling
Jeroen a Jew-hater."

Do you see the point I am making here?  It doesn't matter a rat's a$$
what you *want* a word to mean.  In 20-30 years, if the new edition of
the OED uses Jeroen's definition of "anti-Semite", I'll gladly concede
that he has brought about a change in the usage of the term.  Until
then, I expect him to recognize that his usage goes against the proper
and common usage of the term, and is therefore incorrect.

Adam C. Lipscomb
[EMAIL PROTECTED]