Julia Thompson wrote:

> Actually, I think it would be the caste of Gautam's *grandfather*.  :)
>
> The way it was explained to me how surnames go in India (and you can
> correct me if I'm wrong) is that your surname is your father's given
> name.

The naming convention are different in different parts of India. The
convention you have described does hold true for parts of South India.
But since Gautam had mentioned that his family originally came from
Kashmir, I'm assuming that they follow the naming convention common in
North India. Which is that your surname is your father's surname.

Only Gautam can tell us for sure. :)

Ritu