----- Original Message -----
From: "J. van Baardwijk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 4:52 PM
Subject: Democracy (was Re: The UN (Hey, JDG!))

Middle

> > > Typo. Where it says "principles" it should say "principle".
>
> <snip>
>
> >Well, I'll go in where wiser folks fear to tread.  The UN is not a
> >democracy.  It is a place where voting occurs, but voting does not make
> >something a democracy.
>
> That depends on how you define "democracy". When you use its literal
> meaning ("the people decide"), then the UN is indeed not a democracy.
When
> you use the word in the way it is more commonly used, however ("the
> majority decides"), then the UN *is* a democracy.

Actually, the common loose usage of democracy is "representative of the
people." Thus, countries with representative governments with constitutions
are referred to as democracies, while countries that are governed by small
groups of people, like the Politburo, are not. But, I'm sure you know that.

Out of curiosity, why do you keep on twisting meanings, even when you don't
have to?  Why is it more fun to turn every discussion into a matter of
personal anamosity and arguements over minutia than over issues?  In the
general sense of the world, the UN is not a democracy.  It is a forum for
countires to work together.  It is deeply flawed, but better than nothing.

Dan M.