"J. van Baardwijk" wrote:

> > Considering the fact that your country kept its
> > representative government only because the US was
> > willing to put NY and Washington on the line to
> > protect it,

> Huh? That requires some explanation.

During the Cold War, the US promised to defend western
Europe as if it were its own soil, which meant using its
nuclear missiles on the Soviet Union if it ever attempted
to invade western Europe. If we fired our missiles, then
the immediate result would be Soviet nukes flying over to
destroy our cities, including New York and Washington.