On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 13:32:47 -0600, Dan Minette wrote:

>I think remote, not rural is where the break even is.  From
>http://www.go-solar.com/Pvinsolation.html
>I got the average sun hours as 4.8/day. If you factor in the fact that the
>cells rarely operate at peak efficiency, you are talking close to 4 kwH
>production per day for a $10,000 unit.  If we assume an 8% interest rate,
>and 20 years amatorization, we are talking about $1020/year in costs.
>Plus, there will be maintenance costs, so I'd put the yearly cost at
>$1300/year.  This is for a system that produces 1460 kWh/year.  That comes
>to just over $1.00/kWh.
>
>There are locations where this works out, but they are remote, not just
>rural.  There is some limited use in developing countries, but this is a
>very high price for power.  My "daughter"'s family is on the grid in
>Zambia, I know that.

Third world energy consumption is generally a lot less than western use. this
also has to be considered when considering the economy of solar power in these
countries.

>Might it not be
>>worthwhile to spend money on solar applications for those areas, since
>>you aren't competing with the grid, you are competing with the costs to
>>BUILD a grid, which makes solar look much more competitive.

The rule of thumb I have heard is if a single dwelling is more than 1 mile from
grid power, it is cheaper to generate on site. Of course since countries using
the metric system are more efficient, this reduces to 1km  ;-)

Dean