De : Julia Thompson [mailto:julia@;zurg.net]
> I think the argument went along the lines of, no *single* European
> country has an economy as big as Japan's.  (As I say, I haven't read the
> columns, just heard about them from my husband.)  Population has
> something to do with the criteria, as well.

That would be good argument for the WSJ where is it isn't the economy,
it doesn't matter, but I think the Security Council is more about
military might and conflict mediation.  Japan has neither the troops
to qualifiy for the first, nor the inclination to use its political
influence to qualify for the last.

Jean-Louis
I get mixed up with latter and former.