At 12:21 AM 11/9/2002 -0600 Julia Thompson wrote:
>Would being on the pill for medical reasons not having primarily to do
>with contraception be reasonable, in your opinion?  I've had friends of
>mine on the pill not because they were having sex and didn't want to
>become pregnant (at least one of them was a virgin at the time this came
>up in conversation) but because it provided some hormone regulation that
>their doctors thought they ought to have (and some of them, once they'd
>been on it for a few months, agreed wholeheartedly that they were better
>off).

It depends on the severity of the condition and the availability of
alternatives.   I've met several women in the above situation, and at least
one of them eventually decided unilaterally to go off the pill (she still
was not marreid) and somehow the period of time on the pill had set things
right with her system, and she was fine.

My favorite example of an exception, however, is the example of a migrant
worker from Mexico, working in DC and support a family back home in Mexico.
  If he has only a week's vacation, and that week is his wife's fertile
week, I find it very difficult to argue that they should abstain from sex
for that week.

JDG
John D. Giorgis         -               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
People everywhere want to say what they think; choose who will govern
them; worship as they please; educate their children -- male and female;
 own property; and enjoy the benefits of their labor. These values of
freedom are right and true for every person,  in every society -- and the
duty of protecting these values against their enemies is the common
calling of freedom-loving people across the globe and across the ages.
                -US National Security Policy, 2002