Rob posted.....
> http://www.space.com/searchforlife/seti_shostak_wow_021205.html
>
> Of the many "maybe's" that SETI has turned up in its four-decade history,
> none is better known than the one that was discovered in August, 1977, in
> Columbus, Ohio. The famous Wow signal was found as part of a long-running
> sky survey conducted with Ohio State University's "Big Ear" radio
> telescope.

I can't remember if I posted this to the list a few years ago, but the OSU
telescope that detected this was turned into a golf course. I guess 4 other
golf courses in Delaware Ohio was not enough.  The site is about 1 mile from
where I live.

I am not much into conspiracies, but the local opinion is that it was
dismantled and removed because of the "wow" signal...

more about the signal...

http://www.planetary.org/html/news/articlearchive/headlines/2001/Wow.htm