It's not like that here...  You have to go farther south to get the large
quantities and sizes of bugs.  I spent most of a summer in San Diego a few
years ago, at my father-in-law's house.  At night, if you walked on the
sidewalk, you'd feel and hear a crunch, crunch, crunch from the bugs.  Even
further south, at my sister's apartment in St. Thomas, USVI, she used to
check for lizards on the walls when arriving home.  If there were no lizards
on the walls, she'd go get a brave friend to check her apartment for
tarantulas.  She didn't particularly like the lizards, but she certainly
appreciated the implication of their presence!

Nick