Russell Chapman wrote:

Reggie Bautista wrote:

There is nothing quite so stirring or that can get my blood pumping quite like a good pipe-and-drum band with those high, crisp Scottish snare drums.

And yet, the most evocative pipe band performance I've heard was at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, at closing time at sunset, in the commemorative area. The drum beat was slow (almost rolling) and quiet, and the pipes varied in number throughout the performance. By the end, a solitary piper was playing The Last Post as the massive doors to the Hall of Rememberance were swinging shut. Ethereal and ghostly, it nearly stopped the blood in my veins...

There's a great compilation CD called _Folk 'N' Hell: Fiery New Music from Scotland_ that has a variety of Scottish artists who use various combinations of traditional, rock, pop, electronica, and jazz.

Australian Heavy Metal band ACDC used bagpipes in a number of their songs - to brilliant effect. Really kept the music screaming along at full tempo...

I love the intro to "This Holy Ground" from the Traffic album Far From Home. It sounds like bagpipes to me, but I seem to remember looking at the credits and finding that it was something else that I had never heard of and can't recall at the moment (and I can't find the CD). Does anyone here know? The album isn't classic Traffic, it's a reunion of Winwood and Capaldi recorded in 1994.

Doug