--- Bryon Daly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Marvin Long, Jr." wrote:
<snipped most of good discussion re: ST-TOS & TNG>

> > Hm.  While I agree that the best SF tends to have
> good characters, when I
> > *think* of great SF I tend to think of the big
> picture.  I loved Dune, for
> > instance, but I have no particular attachment to
> Paul Atreides as such.  I
> > love Asimov's Foundation series, but in the
> original trilogy Seldon is
> > little more than a glyph; and I'd be hard-pressed
> to remember the name of
> > the rest of the characters (aside from The Mule).
> But it's the idea, the
> > universe they inhabit, that infatuates me.  I
> loved _Earth_ and I enjoyed
> > _Kiln People_ but at the moment I can't remember
> the names of any of the
> > characters, even the protagonists.  But the big
> pictures linger.  Forge of
> > God?  Blood Music?  Great books, but I can't
> remember a name from either.
>
> I agree.  For me, the character names fade rapidly,
> while the universe and the
> general story stick with me much better.  In that
> thread a while back about 10 best
> SF heroes, I was hard pressed to come up with any
> names, even though I've read a ton of SF.

While for me, if I don't care about at least one
character (which means s/he has to be well-written,
3-dimensional and preferably shows some growth/change
during the course of the book/series), I won't like it
well enough to re-read, or to remember more than the
barest outline of plot.  _Heart of the Comet_ was
interesting, but didn't engage me; same for _Murasaki_
(?I think that was the title - Brin co-authored it).
OTOH, I adore the characters of _Uplift W_ and
_Startide R_, and have read both 5-7 times.

Debbi
who much prefers Picard to Kirk (although I too really
liked the TOS 'troika' of K, S & B)