http://bernie.house.gov/documents/articles/20030211102301.asp

Renters Receiving U.S. Aid to Pay More Under Budget Proposal
by Robert Pear

WASHINGTON, Feb. 10 � The Bush administration is proposing to increase
rents charged to thousands of poor people who receive federal housing
aid. 

The increase would be accomplished by changing three little words in
federal law. The minimum rent for tenants, which is "not more than $50" a
month under current law, would have to be "at least $50" a month under
President Bush's plan. 

In budget documents sent to Congress last week, the administration said
the proposal was "intended to promote work" by people who live in
federally subsidized housing. 

Some local authorities have a minimum rent of zero or $25 a month. Under
Mr. Bush's proposal, they would have to charge $50 a month and could set
the minimum much higher for some or all tenants. 

Housing officials in New York, Philadelphia and Tacoma, Wash., said they
did not have minimum rents. On average, they said, tenants pay 30 percent
of their incomes in rent for their subsidized units. 

The proposal is the latest example of what critics describe as onerous
requirements placed on poor people by Mr. Bush's budget. Under it,
families would face more difficulties in obtaining hardship exemptions
from the minimum rent requirement. 

The existing law lists five situations in which local agencies have to
grant exemptions, for example if a tenant has lost a job, suffered a
death in the family or lost eligibility for cash assistance because of
time limits on paying welfare benefits. 

The current law, adopted in 1998, also says a family receiving federal
housing aid cannot be evicted because of failure to pay the minimum rent.


These categories of mandatory exemptions would be repealed under the
administration proposal. Exemptions would be granted in rare
circumstances, and then only by the federal government. The proposed
language says, "A hardship exemption may be granted on a case-by-case
basis, as determined by the secretary" of housing and urban development. 

An assistant secretary of housing and urban development, Michael Liu,
said today that the minimum rent proposal was "a reasonable way to
promote work and responsibility." 

Mr. Liu said some people who lived in public housing or received rental
aid in the form of Section 8 vouchers could afford to pay much more than
$50 a month. 

"We wanted to provide flexibility to the local housing authorities," he
said. The executive director of the Housing Authority of Reno, Nev.,
David C. Morton, said, "The proposal for a minimum rent, with no cap,
would be a major change and could place significant burdens on some
low-income people." 

Moreover, Mr. Morton added, the proposal to require families to obtain
federal approval for exemptions is unrealistic. 

"As a practical matter," he asked, "what low-income family is going to be
able to go through that process to get an exemption?" 

Mr. Morton is president of a national organization of directors of
housing agencies. 

Local agencies might need to raise rents because Washington recently told
them that their operating subsidies could be cut by up to 30 percent in
the first quarter of this year. Federal officials said the cuts might be
necessary because of a $250 million shortfall that resulted from
government accounting errors and miscalculations. 

Housing officials in Boston, Philadelphia, Seattle, Tucson and Tampa,
Fla., said they were considering layoffs, hiring freezes and cutbacks in
repairs, maintenance, security and other services. 

After complaints from lawmakers of both parties, the administration said
the cut might be 10 percent, if Congress appropriates the full amount
that Mr. Bush requested for the current fiscal year. 

The executive director of the Tacoma Housing Authority, Peter J. Ansara,
said: "Public housing residents should not have to pay for HUD's
miscalculations. The proposed cut comes at a time when, because of the
economy, the need for public housing is greater than ever." 

The White House budget director, Mitchell E. Daniels Jr., said local
authorities were partly responsible for the problem. 

"Some," Mr. Daniels said, "have been simply spending money faster than
they were supposed to be spending it." 

Dorinda L. Wider, a lawyer at the Legal Aid Society of Minneapolis, said
the local authority had a $50 minimum. 

"If the ceiling becomes a floor," Ms. Wider said, "we will see minimum
rents set at varying levels that will be more burdensome to some tenants.
We'll see more homeless folks. That is not the government's intent. But
it could be the result, because people with very low incomes won't be
able to find affordable housing in our market." 

Mr. Liu said the minimum rent requirement would not apply to the elderly
or the disabled. Government figures show that 128,000 households that
receive federal housing aid have no income from welfare or work, even
though the head of the household is neither elderly nor disabled. About
53,000 of the households were in public housing. The rest received rental
assistance vouchers. 

_______________________________________________
http://www.mccmedia.com/mailman/listinfo/brin-l

Reply via email to