From: Erik Reuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Killer Bs Discussion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: V-I Day +1 - endgame scenarios?
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 16:37:56 -0500

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 04:04:38PM -0500, Bryon Daly wrote:

> I think that this war will cost us billions, which we will not recoup,
> just as we didn't in the GW.

Wrong. The Gulf War cost America relatively little since our allies
reimbursed us for most of the bill. I saw the numbers recently in an
article, which I can dig up if you are interested.

Don't bother, I have the info archived: http://www.cwc.lsu.edu/cwc/other/stats/warcost.htm

Excerpt: For the Gulf War it is worth noting that various members of the allied coalition reimbursed the U.S. for 88-percent ($54 billion) of the amount shown, so the actual cost to the taxpayer was only about $7 billion, roughly the same as for the Spanish-American War, and on a per capita basis only $26.92, arguably the least expensive war in the nation's history.

The latest estimate for a new Iraq war is around $100B, and I doubt we
would get reimbursed this time. And that is not counting rebuilding
afterwards. It is a bad time for tax cuts.

Is that estimate only for the cost of actual combat or does it also take into account the outlay of the peacekeeping role we'll have to play afterwards?

Jon

Chrichton: You ever hear of K. F. C.?
Akkor: K.F.C.?
Chrichton: It is, to my knowledge, unique in the universe and unique is always valuable.  Now... we have managed to procure all 11 secret ingredients....
~Farscape~