"Bryon Daly" wrote: >

> As for N Korea, I'm slightly less concerned (but also less informed as I
haven't paid as close
> attention to that situation).    My understanding has been that while they
are belligerent, their m.o.
> in the past has largely designed to induce other countries to "pay them
off" with food, aid, money,
> etc, so I'm hoping this time around is more of the same rather than
genuine aggression.  Certainly
> Bush's "axis of evil" diplomacy doesn't help smooth matters here.  I
definitely don't have much
> idea right now about how to best handle this situation.  The last time we
paid them off,under Clinton,
> doesn't seem to have helped, so I'm dubious about the value of getting a
new treaty from them in
> return for more food, money, etc.
>
> -bryon

----------------------------

For those of us who live in Korea (and just bought an apartment), we are
slightly more concerned than we were a month or so ago.  There is a
noticeable degree of tension here.  However, no one really thinks "nK" (that
is how the alliance (US/ROK) refer to North) Korea will really attack.  They
are engaging in out-and-out blackmail, to which we will succumb.  The
alternative is to horrible to imagine and China and Japan DO NOT even want a
war here.  It would overflow (more towards Japan of course.)

But the reason is the desire for the Kim regime to remain the "Kim regime."
They have built an almost supernatural cult around Kim John Il and his
revered father, Kim Il Sung.  The Kim family and close inner cirlce friends
want to stay in power.  They do not want to be Martyred.  I suspect that if
they start something, it will be over.  The ROK and US, with help from the
UN ( there are a number of nations sworn to come to Korea's aid), will end
nK.

Saddam, on the other hand, would like nothing more to be a martyr.  Lets
give him his wish.

George A