> They don't need to match the USA 1:1 for GDP either...just production where
> it counts (military, etc.) - they'll be prefectly willing to sacrifice
> civilian standards of life for tactical advantage.

They'll be perfectly willing to TRY. I'm not sure they'll be able to get away
with it for as long as they would need to in order to mount a serious
worldwide challenge. Now, a serious regional challenge (incl., unfortunately,
Taiwan) is another matter. Of course, by that point they might be bumping
heads with India...

Tom Beck

www.prydonians.org
www.mercerjewishsingles.org

"I always knew I'd see the first man on the Moon. I never dreamed I'd see the
last." - Dr Jerry Pournelle