JDG wrote:
I developed that statistic myself, and AFAIK, I'm the only person that I've
seen use it. :)

Russell Chapman replied:
It can't be too wrong, based on the size of the deployed force and the US population...

Hmmm, now that you mention it, it may have only been here that I've seen that number. Let me do a quick bit of research...

According to the 2000 census,
http://www.census.gov/main/www/cen2000.html
the population of the U.S. is 281,421,906.

I've seen different numbers for the number of U.S. troops involved. I couldn't find anything definitive in a quick Google search, but the numbers I remember hearing are between 240,000 and 250,000.

JDG's original estimate is 1 in 1000, which is 0.1% of the U.S. population.
If we assume 245,000 troops with the census number above, we get 0.09%. That's fairly close to JDG's number. If you go a couple of extra decimal places, it's 0.0871%. That's equivalent to about 1 in every 1148. Allowing for the fact that JDG's stat was an estimate, I'd say it was a pretty good one.

Reggie Bautista