>To modify an old saying:
>
>"Why buy the cow if you can get the government to give you the milk for free?"

I'm afraid I don't see your point. The complaint is that the UK government will,
rather than permit actual legal same-sex marriage, permit gay couples certain
privileges similar to marriage but without the formal name, which some gay
spokesperson says discriminates against unmarried straight couples by not permitting
them a similar legal arrangement in some way short of actual marriage. And my point
is, unmarried straight couples have no such need because they can actually get
married. If they choose not to, that's up to them, but at least they have the choice,
which gays do not. Therefore, there is no possible "discrimination." If you want to
argue that gays should be given full legal marriage rights, I agree. What the UK
government is proposing is, actually, still, discrimination against _gays_ not against
straights, even if it would be slightly less discriminatory than it used to be. So
what is your point?

Tom Beck