Perhaps we are at war, but under that definition, I'm having a very hard
time imagining that we will ever NOT be at war.  We are not going to remove
evil from the world, I'm quite sure.

How does this end?  Can anyone offer a definition of the conditions
necessary for us to return to peacetime, or whatever one might properly call
'normal' conditions?

With a clear articulation of the conditions that define whether or not we're
in a state of war against terrorism, we seem to be creating a perpetual
emergency.  Given that the emergency is the justification for suspending and
modifying some civil rights, and some even argue that it is inappropriate to
criticize the current administration, I think it's quite reasonable to worry
that our country is not just responding with temporary measures, but is
changing in ways that don't jibe with our fundamental notions of freedom and
privacy.

Am I going to wake up 20 years from now to more reminders that we are living
in a state of emergency because the evil-doers have not yet been wiped off
the face of the earth?  Tell me why not, please.

If this is not the future we want to create, then shouldn't we return to
normal political discourse, in which one is not branded a traitor for
questioning the leadership.  If we can't question and criticize our leaders
today, what is going to change to allow us to question them tomorrow, or in
20 years?

Nick