----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2003 10:41 PM
Subject: Re: Science and knowledge

> >> The purpose of science is not to help us understand reality; it is not
> > about the truth.  Indeed, one of my favorite statements about science
is
> > "the most important development in the history of science is when it
was
> > decided that it wasn't about the truth."
>
> I would argue that most scientists believe that their models are about
reality. Truth is a somewhat trickier >notion. It implies finality while
science is always more tentative.

But, if this is true, then why did this statement achieve general
acceptance among the professional scientists on sci.physics?  There are a
lot of different scientists with a lot of different viewpoints, who all
agreed that science was about making models concerning observation.  It had
nothing to say about the validity of observation.

It was the alternate thinkers who insisted that science must describe
reality.

> > Indeed, you find in a working group of scientists, a wide variety of
> > metaphysical positions.  To first order, they are all perfectly
consistant
> > with science. I've noticed that it is very easy for scientists to
happily
> > argue metaphysics over coffee and then drop their differences when they
> > actually work.
> My own experience is that scientists do not worry much about metaphysics.
They believe or assume that the >world that they study is real.

Thinking about this, its probably because we hang with different types of
scientists.  Biologists and biochemists can live with a 19th century
classical view of science.  People who have to deal with modern physics
professionally cannot. Lets take a straightforward very well established
theory of physics: QED.  We see finiate charges.  However, each one of
these particles polarizes the vacume, creating additional observed charge.
The only way to obtain the actual values for measured charge that we see is
to have the origional electron and protons have just the right infinite
value for charge to make everything work out.  This is called
renormalization.

The answer to whether these particles really have infinite charges is "shut
up and calculate".

>The notion of modelling and predicting of what scientists do but most
would find
>it difficult to work if they did not believe in the reality of the things
they were studying

But, the physicists who made progress didn't worry about the reality.
Those that did, got little done.  I think that the dividing line is
probably whether or not people have to deal with the questions of things
like virtual particles, instead of actual particles doing all the
interactions...with each real particle having a whole string of virtual
particles hanging off of it in momentum space (the theory that best matched
my experimental data), or QED, or the standard model, or quarks and glue,
etc.

Its also worth noting that QED is not really very esoteric.  It is the
basis for chemistry.  IIRC, we already have enough computational  to do
first principals calculations for simple chemistry.  So, we should be able
to directly tie renormalization to chemistry, with each step calculated and
proven.

Finally, what happens when there are two models, with very different
descriptions of reality, that both describe observations equally well.  Are
both real? Is neither real?

> > The reason for this is that there is a general acceptance of the
> > proposition that science is not about knowing what is real and true.
>
> I would argue that most scientists (not philosophers) would disagree with
this.

I know when this was stated on sci.physics, there was not a single
professional that disagreed with that statement.  Everyone agreed that
science models what we observe.

Now, it is also true that few scientists believe that observations have
nothing to do with reality. Most idealists, for example, think there is a
correlation between observation and reality.  And, idealists do have a
respected place among physicists: Wheeler was one.

Dan M.