----- Original Message -----
From: "William T Goodall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 9:07 AM
Subject: Re: Science and knowledge

> On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 06:08  am, Dan Minette wrote:

Fair enought, I'll be happy to admit that I've got a biased sample. :-)

> <snip>
>
> > Now, it is also true that few scientists believe that observations have
> > nothing to do with reality. Most idealists, for example, think there
> > is a
> > correlation between observation and reality.  And, idealists do have a
> > respected place among physicists: Wheeler was one.
>
> Perhaps you should start using 'physicist' instead of 'scientist' in
> your posts to avoid overgeneralising.

That's a fair point.  I think that physicists have had to worry about
foundation problems, while other scientists do not, because their
conceptual foundation is the science of the next level down.  Chemistry's
foundation is physics, biology is chemistry, etc.

> Certainly most of the scientists I have known are realists who wouldn't
> know what philosophy was if they stubbed their toe on it...

That's an interesting phenomenon.  Let me relate a story about Jim Carr on
sci.physics.  He is a self described realist.  When I asked him about the
question of whether physics describes reality or simply provides a model of
observation, he said "of course the latter."

Physicists are forced to confront quantum realism on a fairly regular
basis.  There are Physics Review Letters papers on the experimental tests
for spacelike correlations, Bell without inequalities, etc. on a fairly
regular basis.  Since physics, by its nature, goes for the foundations,
these questions are considered important.

I've been throwing these questions around among physicists for over 25
years now, and there is a general acceptance that "quantum weirdness"
cannot simply be shrugged off.

I think the key to reconciling this with the general description of
physicists as mostly realists is the "shut up and calculate" statement of
Feynman.  It is an acknowledgement that there is no good realistic
explanation for how QM works.  It deliberately tables the question; tacitly
acknowledging Feynman's inability to solve it.

It is not a statement that the question is worthless.  Indeed, anyone
trained in classical physics expects a good answer to the question: what
types of things behave this way.  The inability to straightforwardly define
QM in terms of things that have properties consistent with known laws of
physics apart from our observations is not thought to be a trivial
problem.*

So, if you were to ask a physicist about these questions, and then offer
the understanding that physics just models what we see, there is a close to
universal acceptance of that statement.  There is often an accompanying
statement that what we see has something to do with reality.

Finally, thinking about your statement about not overgeneralizing, I think
that I share the general prejudice that a physicist is someone who's had
some graduate work in physics, not necessarily someone with an
undergraduate degree.  I was told that one of the questions that are
important to prelims is determining if the student "thinks like a
physicist."  An ABD** physicist, like Richard Baker, certainly qualifies
here.

Dan M.

* by straightforward I mean without relying on interpretations that require
a rich infinity of universes with a slightly less rich infinity of Dan M.s
being created all the time, or hidden backwards signals in time, etc.

** ABD is all but dissertation