--- Kevin Tarr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>5) Keynsian theory has fallen out of favor, being relegated to a possible
> >>response to serious recession or depression.  My Econ 101 back in the
> late
> >>1980s and popular reporting on economics over more than the last twenty
> years
> >>emphasize the importance of Hayak-Freedman neo-liberal economic
> >>policies--including low tax burdens, hence, limited opportunity for
> >>trickle-up redistributive policies.
> >
> >Ummm....
> >
> >The richest parts of the United States are those that have invested the
> >most in public services--of all kinds. New York, California,
> >Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, et cetera are all high-tax high-service
> >states. We are certainly getting *something* out of our investments in
> >roads, bridges, harbors, education, research and development, and so
> forth...
> >

> >Brad DeLong
>

> I'll have more to say, but about PA: What? The argument in the newspapers
> here is how low our taxes are compared to the surrounding states (except
> Del and WV) and all the services we lost during the current budget crunch.
> Our roads are horrible, 75% of the bridges are just at their rated weight
> limits with (not a small percentage, 35%?) needing complete replacement,
> the state is very low in funding higher education (something that does not
> bother me), even with subsidies we are still losing businesses.

All I have for comparison first hand is California, Oklahoma, Texas, Nevada.
I like the geography where I live. But the economies in Texas and Nevada and
the benifit of living in a No Tax State are so much better than I am
continuly tempted to move back to either Texas or Nevada. Unfortunatly with
either choice I have to make a decision between my summer and winter sport.
If Nevada had a coast, or Texas had respectable mountains I would be gone,
and I would take my money and my contribution to the economy of my state with
me.

In CA we pay outlandish taxes and have the WORST public upkeep. There are
more homeless people, more very poor people, roads and road signs desperatly
need repair, public buildings look like they will come down any minute. And
racesism, gang activity...shiver etc. etc. Same with OK.

In Texas and Nevada the public upkeep is great, the roads are wide and
smooth, the signs actualy tell you usefull up to date info. There are fewer
desperatly poor people, less homelessness. Less gang activity and racesism.
etc. etc.

Can anyone explain this? Maybe it's taxation? Maybe it's conservative fiscal
policies. What else could it be?

We are recalling our governer though, maybe things will change. (unfortunatly
this might mean that the T1 model will be missing from the next terminator
movie).

=====