William T Goodall wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/25/technology/25SOFT.html

" Mr. Gates acknowledged today that the company's error reporting service indicated that 5 percent of all Windows-based computers now crash more than twice each day."

We have some staff here who get this sort of reliability some times, sometimes just working in MS Word and MS Outlook. The first thing they do is stop sending the error reports to MS, so I suspect that the numbers are actually much worse. We used to try to troubleshoot the errors, but now it's quicker to just reimage the machine and wait for it to start happening again in a few months.
On my own machines, I've only ever experienced it running older software designed for Win95/98. Pretty much everyone concedes that MS is getting better...

Cheers
Russell C.