From: William T Goodall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Killer Bs Discussion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windo$e
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:17:23 +0100

From: William T Goodall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Brin-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Windo$e
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:11:57 +0100

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/25/technology/25SOFT.html

" Mr. Gates acknowledged today that the company's error reporting service indicated that 5 percent of all Windows-based computers now crash more than twice each day."

Honestly, I suspect this is more ID10T errors than anything else.

But the user shouldn't be able to make the OS crash, however much of an ID10T they are.

Tell that to the third party software makers, please. Some of it is just badly written for Macs AND PC's. AOL used to freeze my computer pretty darn frequently in OS9. Who's to blame? Apple, AOL or me? Here's a hint: It sure as heck ain't me. :)

Connecting and disconnecting peripherals while the computer is running usually causes major problems on older versions of the Windows OS. It doesn't in any of the current versions. If you're told not to do something and do it anyway, then you're the ID10T, not the maker of the OS.

My home computer running WinXP has crashed perhaps four times in the last 7-8 months, and I believe they were hardware related and not the operating system.

That's a *lot* of crashing.

It's entirely hardware related. I have a hard drive that's dying which 'shorts' (for lack of a better term) every once in a blue moon. I hear a loud 'click' and then the computer restarts completely. It's not OS related.

Win2K was also totally crash free for the year and a half I used it.

Also?

Completely. It never crashed the entire time I used it. A program might have once or twice... but never the whole OS.

By the way M$oft OS's do not have the patent on crashing. For over a month, I had a recurring problem with OSX where it would freeze on my G4 each time I tried to empty the trash.

Sure, every OS *can* crash sometimes. I've had Linux kernel panic on me, and Mac OS X has informed me it requires a restart once or twice per year per machine. "More than twice a day" is a quite different kind of thing altogether.

It seems horrifically high. I suspect that it's a combination of lack of maintenance and ID10T errors. I use tons of programs, usually simultaneously on my Windows machine and don't have problems, but I keep them maintained, too.

Jon

Le Blog: http://zarq.livejournal.com