On
> Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 8:49 PM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Hyperion - The Motion Picture
>
> > Maybe I Should Read The Book Maru
> >

> No maybe. I'd put Hyperion/Fall of Hyperion up there with The Anubis
> Gates,
> His Dark Materials, and just a very few others as among the ten best
books
> I've
> ever read.

I know I'm in the list minority when I say this, but I would also highly
recommend Endymion and Rise of Endymion as well as the final coda story
entitled "Orphans of the Helix" which may be hard to find.  Many people
feel they weren't as good as H and FOH, but I did enjoy them immensely.
(Plus, they answered a ton of questions and enigmas raised in the first
two books.)

I think the entire series was just incredible and it's on my personal
top ten as well.

> I consider Hyperion/Fall of Hyperion to be essentially one book that
got
> published in two parts. I remember reading Hyperion and coming to the
end
> and
> thinking - huh? Wha hoppen? That's IT? I did not know that it
immediately
> continued in Fall of Hyperion; which, fortunately, I was able to find
> copy of almost
> the next day and thus was not doomed to hellish frustration.

Worth noting (don't worry... this isn't a spoiler): FOH is told from a
totally different perspective and literary style.  It also takes a
certain 'poetic' theme and weaves it deeply into the narrative which is
followed up and explained more fully in the final book.

> A good film adaptation could be eye-popping and mind-blowing. But
since
> when
> has Scorsese shown any interest in skiffy?

Who cares? *grin*  He'd be awesome at it. ;-)

I wonder who would play Kassad or FC de Soya.

:-)

Jon